13 November 2013

Worst case!

IN THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY, IN E-MAIL, AND ON THE INTERNET, USE OF UPPERCASE IS LIMITED. STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT MOST PEOPLE FIND IT HARDER TO READ UPPERCASE, AND TODAY'S DIGITAL ETIQUETTE VIEWS USE OF ALL UPPERCASE AS SHOUTING. WHY, THEN, DO WE CONTINUE TO USE IT ON DRAWINGS?

One of the reasons architects and engineers have used only uppercase may have been the difficulty of learning to letter. I don't know what today's students think about lettering, but when I was in architecture school, developing a "hand" was seen as a critical part of the architect's identity.
Baudot keyboard - no lowercase letters!
Shortly after graduating, I wrote a check at a department store. I still recall my swelling sense of pride when, after looking at the check, the cashier said, "Oh, you must be an architect!"

But for some reason, perhaps just laziness, mastery of uppercase letters was as far as most of us got; I recall only a few who extended their lettering skills to include lowercase. Otherwise, given the advantages of using mixed case, I can't imagine why architects and engineers have limited their writing to uppercase.

There are many studies and many opinions regarding the benefits of using mixed case lettering. Many claim the shape of the words affects recognition, the theory being that uppercase letters have no shape, while lowercase letters have parts that stick up above or down below the rest of the letters, making words easier to recognize. Others dispute that theory, yet still see evidence that comprehension is enhanced with mixed case text.

Some suggest that the effect is largely based on familiarity. Because we're accustomed to reading in mixed case, we do it well, but if we read uppercase all the time, we would read just as well. That makes sense; early in my career, when I frequently met with clients, I would orient the drawings for the client, and I eventually was able to read upside down text nearly as fast as right side up. Even so, we are surrounded by mixed case text, so why not take advantage of its familiarity?

The US government is convinced that uppercase makes reading needlessly difficult. The Federal Highway Administration has decreed that when road signs are replaced, the new ones must use mixed case. And, in April of this year, the US Navy announced a number of changes intended to improve communication, among them being the introduction of lowercase letters in the body of messages. It turns out that there once was good reason for the use of uppercase letters in military messages; early teletypes had no way to send lowercase!

I often wonder about the inconsistent logic applied to drawings and to text. Architects readily accept the importance of using line weight, poché, and white space to make drawings easier to understand. They correctly would reject the notion of using but one line weight, no poché, and crowding details together; after all, those actions would make the drawings harder to read! Yet many of those same architects care nothing about the fonts, line spacing, line length, and white space used in project manuals. Worse, a few of them see written text as another means of artistic expression, and choose fonts that are difficult to read. They simply fail to understand that poor text layout can interfere with comprehension.

Please - unlock that caps lock! Use mixed case!

And be consistent! If you use capitalization for defined terms, do not use it for terms that are not defined.  More at Capital idea!

Photo credit:  By John Nagle (talk) (Transferred by Valepert/Originally uploaded by Nagle) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 or GFDL], via Wikimedia Commons

7 comments:

  1. After opening my own office in 2004, I started reviewing the established conventions to begin defining the "office standards". Stationary, drawings, memos, web-site, transmittals, the gambit. As an example I wanted the Title Block to tie into my Stationary but this quickly led to understanding the communication within a drawing. Information on a Construction Drawing is important (otherwise why make the effort) but not all is equal, hence I diverted to upper and lower case lettering. It was the 00's, why stay in the 80's and 90's. The end result in my mind was a easier to understand set of drawings and a more cohesive package. All caps on a set of drawings look so antiquated to me now. Time to realize we do not hand letter anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve; have you received any feedback from contractors or suppliers?

    I haven't hand lettered since becoming a specifier more than twenty-five years ago. As you might expect, my writing has become sloppy; I wish I had stayed in practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an art director that wants to use all lower case. It is ok in headlines, but as bad as all caps in body copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All lowercase as in no sentence capitalization, no proper name capitalization, no uppercase abbreviations? All uppercase sucks, but all lowercase suffers some of the same problems. At least your art director isn't asking you to use script - I hope!

      Delete
  4. Great article! In the late 60s I got a co-op job (I went to the Univ of Cinti) at a firm in Cincinnati that used slanted mixed-case lettering for drawing notes (remember the 68-deg slope on the tool for lettering guidelines?). It was explained to me that the reason was the notes took up less space that way. The firm used only 24 x 36 sheets, so space was indeed a consideration.

    I also remember some graduates from 5-year non-coop schools who had never worked even a single summer in an architectural firm being almost in tears when told on their first day at work to cover a 30 x 42 sheet with practice lettering. The guys (gal architects very rare in those days!) who couldn’t letter were assigned to field work for construction administration. I also knew guys who were let go because they couldn’t letter well.

    I did calligraphy as a hobby, so I didn’t have any problems.

    In the early 70s I worked for an E/A firm in Cincy owned by a lawyer [it had been started by his dad, an engineer]. They had had some sort of claim relating to capitalization or lack thereof in the specs, so his solution was that specs were printed in all upper case—very difficult to read. A short-sighted Pharisaical solution, but he didn’t have to read the specs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. They reminded me of an office I worked at many years ago. Specifications had little white space and small margins. After being printed on large paper (11 by 17, perhaps) they were photographically reduced to 8-1/2 by 11. The font was probably 6 point, and the pages looked like blocks of gray. Of course, some of the important parts were in uppercase!

      Delete